Researching our 1968 442

General Discussion

6 replies in this topic | 1,145 reads
LesahKMS

We’re trying to find some history on our car. We have some.. the previous owner passed away and the wife sold it at auction. A guy in North Carolina purchased it in 2015 and had ituntil we bought it last fall.I did reach out to the wife, and got no response

Vin 344878M361796This is what we do know:

Car was in South Carolina owned by a man named Bob Voss who owned a car repair shop in Dalzell,SC. He liked to race cars and was possibly making this car a 1/4 mile car, Mr Voss was well known on the drag race circuitImage title. This is where the history gets muddy: Supposedly Bob purchased the car in 2007 I The Sandusky OH area.We’re trying to find out if anyone in the area recognizes this car and could give us info. The car was originally Jade Gold. It was later painted purple and finally painted black.

Email me at Lesahkms@outlook.com if you know anything about this car before it’s southern days, or if you knew Mr Voss from S Carolina and know stuff.. Thanks.

Joffroi
Administrator

I see the hood scoops.... is that W30 as well?

LesahKMS
Joffroi wrote:

I see the hood scoops.... is that W30 as well?

It could be, everything about it indicates that it is (red wheel wells, scoops, no ac, dual fuel linesetc etc, )however the motor was factory replaced, and the trans was replaced a few years before we bought it. We have no documentation to prove it, so the short answer is maybe?

LesahKMS

The possibility of it being a real w30 is also why we’re trying to trace the origins of this car- plus I’m a genealogy buff and I see this as car genealogy. 😁

Joffroi
Administrator

That car looks like its in great shape. Have you ever tried looking under seats or door panels for a build sheet? That would ultimately be the proving point. Or if it was built in Canada. Canadian cars you can call the GM heritage club to get the original options.

LesahKMS
Joffroi wrote:

That car looks like its in great shape. Have you ever tried looking under seats or door panels for a build sheet? That would ultimately be the proving point. Or if it was built in Canada. Canadian cars you can call the GM heritage club to get the original options.

Yes- we actually tore out the interior as we are currently restoring the car- the rear seat we did find the build sheet- but at some point the rear seat was replaced, also. The car is in very good condition- our body guy who's doing the exterior is pretty happy with it- a resto was done on it within the last 10 years from what he can tell, and it was done well- we had to replace the front cowl channel, and we replaced both front fenders (one was bad, the other was on it's way), a few minor spots here and there that were easily repaired, mostly surface rust. We've reupholstered the seats ourselves, also replacing door panels, some exterior chrome, carpeting and a few minor things. Hoping she's out of shop by May with her new paint job- Scarlet Red w/ a white painted hardtop (hey, it's what the man wants- I say keep it black, or go back to the jade gold!!). The picture is very deceptive of condition- that was right after I gave the car a full detail (UGH SO MUCH CHROME!)- the car even took 2nd in it's class at a few shows and I was like wow the coolness of this car blinds the judges- hahaa...but overall the car is in great shape for what we paid. mechanically she's a beast-

It's a Lansing car- so no luck w/ the GM heritage club. We do have a lead on the owner before Mr. Voss- and will be calling them this week to see if they remember anything- also sent another letter to Mr. Voss' wife- she had responded to the auctioneer (we contacted him) and told him she'd be in touch with us, but I'm sure life got in the way- hopefully another note will jog her memory to give us a shout, and have more info for us-

LesahKMS

Image title

Image title

You must be logged in to post on the forums