W-43 455

General Discussion

17 replies in this topic | 5,021 reads
75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
I stopped at the R.E.Olds museum last September looking forward to seeing the 32 valve 455 but was disappointed when it was nowhere to be found. Does anyone know why it wasn't there? I'm hoping it was out temporarily and will be back when I'm there for the Homecoming in June.
Joffroi
Administrator

Are you talking about this famous engine? Is it the one and only that was made?

Image title

I'm surprised in the world of re-manufacturing and CNCs someone out there hasn't tried to make a replica somehow. I'm probably over simplifying it all haha.

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
Yep, that's the one. I've heard there were a few made. It's sad that the AMC, Buick, and Pontiac guys get aluminum aftermarket blocks but we don't.
Joffroi
Administrator

That thing is truly a work of art. Was one ever put in a car or have they always been in prototype / display stages?

dnmfranco
Beginner

from what I understand Chevy put the engine and future plans to its grave. Chevy was not having it, due to it potentially being superior to the LS7. Also Chevy being GM's biggest seller at the time wanted sole racing status. Sad from what I understand from D.Bunch there were going to be a few versions of this motor in regards to hp output.

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
I've heard the Chevrolet killed it argument and I've heard otherwise. Does anyone know where the actual surviving engines (complete or partial) are?
dnmfranco
Beginner

As mentioned Dave Bunch while working in Lansing seen this development and its demise by Chevrolet. Per him manyleft out the back door per se when project was shut down.Supposedlya guy in Georgia has one andthere pics on the web of it.

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
I've seen the one missing the rotating assembly and one head that was (is?) for sale. Any guess as to how many made it out the back door?
dnmfranco
Beginner

This one is complete

I heard (can't verify of course) the majority left at night lol

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
Do you have any links to the pictures?
dnmfranco
Beginner

here is some pics of motor taken apart Image titleImage titleImage title

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
That's the one I've seen missing the head. I read some of Dave's comments. Very interesting (and depressing). If only...
dnmfranco
Beginner

I know I think he wanted 9000 or something the way it was . Still digging for pics

HADA442
dnmfranco wrote:

I know I think he wanted 9000 or something the way it was . Still digging for pics

I'm pretty sure that you are correct about that being the price he was asking for; possibly even as much as $10K.I don't recall as to exactly where the ad for it was posted. I believe it was on eBay? It seems like a good handful of the Olds experimental engines have popped-up on the WWW and been sold.

Paladin31
Beginner

I recently had the pleasure of making acquaintance of a man who worked in Olds for several years and told me a few stories...depressing at the least. Saw first hand several Aluminum blocks sawn into quarter chunks for scrap...not even offered to employees or others...just garbage goin to the dump....chest high piles

Brett

Joffroi
Administrator
Paladin31 wrote:

Saw first hand several Aluminum blocks sawn into quarter chunks for scrap...not even offered to employees or others...just garbage goin to the dump....chest high piles

Well that's awfully depressing. Sounds like watching an execution.

75 W-30 H/O
Beginner
I'm still hoping to see the one at the museum. Anyone know if it's back?
Paladin31
Beginner

If I make it to the meeting next week, I will let post status.

You must be logged in to post on the forums