1964-1972

33 replies in this topic | 9,820 reads
z11375ss
Beginner

Chuckle

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

Looks like its back on the market for $7,000 now. Still same amount of rust and no documentation :-)

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1461/2294/Oldsmobile/F85.html

If it truly has the matching JO tranny I'm surprised it hasn't sold. That's a good price any 70 with an OAI hood that isn't a rust bucket

Joffroi
Administrator
allyolds68 wrote:
Joffroi wrote:

Looks like its back on the market for $7,000 now. Still same amount of rust and no documentation :-)

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1461/2294/Oldsmobile/F85.html

If it truly has the matching JO tranny I'm surprised it hasn't sold. That's a good price any 70 with an OAI hood that isn't a rust bucket

My main concern is that I feel it has a lot more rust then meets the eye. What is behind things like this really bother me. Overall, I'm really trying to convince myself its a bad buy because I really like it.

Image title

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

My main concern is that I feel it has a lot more rust then meets the eye. What is behind things like this really bother me. Overall, I'm really trying to convince myself its a bad buy because I really like it.

10 minutes up on a lift will tell you if it's solid. I like to shine a flashlight with a mirror in the rear 1/4's from the trunk too

z11375ss
Beginner

I bet there's a tad more rust now. Just because. This car is worth 4500 to me to part out maybe.

Joffroi
Administrator

These pictures are at least a year old so I'm going to see if I can get some more up to date ones. It sounds silly, but a W car missing a lot of the pricey parts is almost exactly what I'm looking for. I like the concept of having what was a great classic and being able to turn it into whatever you want. Rust is always a disaster though.

z11375ss
Beginner

I'm not criticizing you. But, I would rather start out with a nice S, and add all the go fast good stuff I want. Kind of like I did rather than start with a swiss cheese pos and try to replace every panel and floor pan, every trim and seat part. Every piece on the motor and trans. Think of the cost.

allyolds68
Beginner
z11375ss wrote:

I'm not criticizing you. But, I would rather start out with a nice S, and add all the go fast good stuff I want. Kind of like I did rather than start with a swiss cheese pos and try to replace every panel and floor pan, every trim and seat part. Every piece on the motor and trans. Think of the cost.

But this is a documented W31 (I'd still like to see a pic of the VIN derivative on the trans). Weak documentation, but enough for most people. The parts to bring it back to the real deal are an intake, balancer, distributor, and carburetor. Probably less than $3-4k in parts. Much less if you go the restamp route

Joffroi
Administrator
allyolds68 wrote:

But this is a documented W31 (I'd still like to see a pic of the VIN derivative on the trans). Weak documentation, but enough for most people. The parts to bring it back to the real deal are an intake, balancer, distributor, and carburetor. Probably less than $3-4k in parts. Much less if you go the restamp route

When you are talking about documentation, are you just basing that on maybe the JO transmission matching that to the car? The other possible clue would be if this originally has the 2 fuel lines. I don't know about that either.

z11375ss
Beginner

The rust is original. We know that. Blech.

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:
allyolds68 wrote:

When you are talking about documentation, are you just basing that on maybe the JO transmission matching that to the car? The other possible clue would be if this originally has the 2 fuel lines. I don't know about that either.

Right. He posted this car on Facebook and I asked him if it had a JO tranny and he had no idea what I was talking about. After a day or two he posted a pic of the JO stamp but not the VIN derivative. I don't really know that much about them to even know where the VIN is stamped ona TH350 but I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere. You're correct about the two fuel lines (at least I know that's correct for 68)

Joffroi
Administrator

When I spoke to him on the phone, he didn't know if the VIN of the trans matched the car, but did say, "he doubted it" so maybe they just found another JO trans. I found more pictures of underneath, but still no word on the dual fuel lines. IMO, if its got the two, its probably one originally. If not, no way obviously.

Image title

Image title

Image title

Image title

Image title

More rust, but I find myself drawn to this car....

Joffroi
Administrator

No return fuel line. My bet is that one of the previous owners added the badges and JO transmission in the past and the story just evolved from there.

Joffroi
Administrator

Looks like its back with a bunch of W parts added and fixed. I still like this thing!

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/6149677691.html
Image title

1970 Oldsmobile F-85 W-31. 1 of 53 automatic F-85 W-31s. Numbers matching block,Large valve "6" heads,Big balancer, factory W-31 aluminum intake,Ram air aircleaner, Numbers matching "JO" code Turbo 350(W-31 only),3.91 Posi rear. $14,750

You must be logged in to post on the forums