1972 442 W30 Authentication

1964-1972

7 replies in this topic | 3,360 reads
Joffroi
Administrator

I am looking for more information on how to tell if a 72 can be an actual W30. I know they didn't have the red vendors (except the first 10 built apparently), but what are some other things to look for? Could they have AC? I assume all are X-code and not U-code?

Edit: From what I read they did not originally have AC.

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

I am looking for more information on how to tell if a 72 can be an actual W30. I know they didn't have the red vendors (except the first 10 built apparently), but what are some other things to look for? Could they have AC? I assume all are X-code and not U-code?

Edit: From what I red they did not originally have AC.

AllX code cars in 72 were W30's. There were even a couple X code H/O's. U code were 455 autos and V code were 455 4speeds (could be 442's, Supremes, or Cutlass's)

Joffroi
Administrator
allyolds68 wrote:
Joffroi wrote:

Edit: From what I red they did not originally have AC.

AllX code cars in 72 were W30's. There were even a couple X code H/O's. U code were 455 autos and V code were 455 4speeds (could be 442's, Supremes, or Cutlass's)

Thanks for the info! It should would be nice to have a W car parked next to the 442....

allyolds68
Beginner

They couldn't have A/C. There was a huge pissing contest recently on Facebook where Jeffrey Herboltzheim (H&H Classic AutoRestorations)claimed he had a documented 72 W30 with A/C. I think it was Mark Prince that tore him a new one. Jeffrey said he had documentation but never posted anything and he was hounded for days to do so.

Joffroi
Administrator

So were all U-code 72s 442s or could you still get a Cutlass U code to just get the 455 without getting the 442 package?

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

So were all U-code 72s 442s or could you still get a Cutlass U code to just get the 455 without getting the 442 package?

You could get a U-code Cutlass. It didn't have to be a 442 optioned car

Joffroi
Administrator

So you need that build sheet.

What do you think of this one.... real or fake?

https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for-sale/1972/442-Sedgwick.php

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

So you need that build sheet.

What do you think of this one.... real or fake?

https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for-sale/1972/442-Sedgwick.php

I don't know 72's well enough to say. Allan R on ClassicOlds would be a better one to ask. I saw your other post about the battery in the trunk. Maybe someone was planning on racing it and that's as far as they got.

You must be logged in to post on the forums