1979 Hurst help please

General Discussion

7 replies in this topic | 1,494 reads
NilesMike

I searched the forum and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Is there a way to verify an actual 79 Hurst Olds from a Cutlass Calais?

Thanks in advance.

Joffroi
Administrator
NilesMike wrote:

I searched the forum and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Is there a way to verify an actual 79 Hurst Olds from a Cutlass Calais?

Thanks in advance.

Hi NilesMike, Welcome to the forums. I don't know much about the "newer" Oldsmobile but hopefully another member will come by and help out. I'll post around.

1970cs
Beginner

All H/O have M in the VIN. 350 CID and Hurst dual gate shifter for 1979. Also white and gold or black and gold paint schemes.

Pat

NilesMike

Thank you

RoyS74

I am thinking that they were all R codes for 79 and not M.

http://hurstolds.com/tips/1979%20Hurst%20Spotters%20tips.pdf

RoyS74

https://oldcarmemories.com/1979-hurstolds-exceeded-expectations/

1970cs
Beginner
RoyS74 wrote:

I am thinking that they were all R codes for 79 and not M.

http://hurstolds.com/tips/1979%20Hurst%20Spotters%20tips

Actually the M stands for Lansing final assembly plant where all Hurst and W machines came. Any thing else is a clone, tribute and ETC. ETC

Regards,

Pat

Unrestored‘79H/OW-30

First of all the VIN needs to start with3K47R9M” 3-Oldsmobile, K47-2 door cutlass calais body, R-Olds L34 “R” code 350, 9-1979, M-Lansing MI plant.

Second - If its claimed to be factory original paint, the gold should look some what rough. Olds did a crapy job of spraying the gold directly on top of the Cameo white / Ebony black.

Thrid - The hood ornament and the rocket emblem on the header panel, between the two grills should be black, not red. On the Hurst they were black. On a normal cutlass they were red.

Fourth - Obviously the Hurst Dual Gate shifter mounted in the factory Olds Cutlass floor console.

Fifth - The 12 mm bolts under the hood that mount the hood hinges, the radiator core support, and the driver / passenger door hinges should be painted blue from the factory.

Sixth - The Olds L34 350 should have a raised cast letter “R” (R code) as well as the last several number digits of the vin number stamped into the block. The TH-350 trans. should also have a raised cast letter “R” as well as the same last several number digits of the vin number stamped onto the transmission housing. The heads should have “3A” cast on the top side and use 1/2” mounting bolt. Engine should be painted GM Corporate blue.California cars came with a smog pump, non CA cars came with no smog pump. Rear end should either be a 2:56 (california car) or a 2:73 (non california car) 10 bolt GM rear end. Posi rear in was available as an option.

Seventh - The back glass should have a painted body color match (Cameo white / Ebony black) window trim and the tail light trim bezels should also be painted to match the body color.

Eighth - The 79 H/O was the only Oldsmobile that year to come with the Olds 14” Cast Aluminum Sport Wheels with dicast aluminum center caps, painted gold instead of the standard Argent silver.

Nineth - Should have front bucket full recline seats with the drivers seat being powered. Shouldalso only have the full Rally gauge package, Tach, Speedo, Volt, Gas, Oil PSI gauges.

The early production 79 H/O’s under the hood had two big round radiator core support bars (that were a hold over from 78). Later 79 production H/Os had two skinny rod radiator core support rods.

79 H/Os did not come from the factory with a vinyl top.

You cant have a 79H/O with out it being a W-30 and you cant have a 79W-30 with out it being an H/O.

Keep in mind that the 80 442 W-30 was identical to the 79 H/O EXCEPT the 80 442 W-30 had 4 head lights and the standard Olds console floor shifter and 442 badging. The first half of theVIN will be the same as the 79 H/O VIN except, the 1980 442 W-30 willhave a 0 (1980 build year)in the place of the 9.

There are several other smaller things to look for, but if your car checks the box for all 9items listed above then theres no need to look any further. Youv got the real deal!

You must be logged in to post on the forums