1968 Olds Cutlass S Restoration

Restorations Projects

3 replies in this topic | 2,811 reads
jdana24
Beginner

For those who didn't see/following my thread on CO for the restoration of my 1968 Olds Cutlass S, I thought I would do a cliff notes version of how it all startedhere at OC. The search for my car started in 2006 as I was looking for an affordable late 1960's muscle car, and one that you didn't see at every car show. I mainly was looking for a 1968-69 Buick GS, but it had to be numbers matching and have a 4 speed. That search lasted until February 2008 at which point I gave up since trying to find one of these cars was proving next to impossible, and I was getting burned-out on the nightly online searches and calls/emails that led to many dead-ends. So I took a break and about 2 weeks later I get a phone call from a buddy who has a pretty nice collection of muscle cars who said he found a car that I should look at. It turned-out to be a convertible1968 Olds Cutlass S. Since it was similar to the Buick GS I went to take a look. It was in really nice shape, had documentation including the protecto-plate, went through a soft restoration about 15 years prior,and drove nicely. In going throughthe car, I found that the engine was a 1970 Rocket 350, but the owner had the original engine that came with the car. He had pulled when he bought the car (he was the 3rd owner) since he was going to put a 455 in it. Things changed for him so he decided to put in the 1970 350. I had the car inspected and everything checked-out fine, so we worked out a deal and I took ownership in March 2008. Attached are thephotos of the car the day I brought it home. Restoring the car was not in the cards at the time since I just wanted to enjoy driving it when the spring/summer would come around.Image titleImage titleImage titleImage title

Joffroi
Administrator

That looks really sharp. I don't think I've ever seen a 68 with a blue top before. Was that an original color option?

jdana24
Beginner

Yes a blue top was option Code 4. However, the color of the car you see in the photos is not the original Ivory color. For some reason when the prior owner restored it previously he painted it Provincial White. The color in my avatar is the originalIvory color I had it painted during my recent restoration. More photos and info to come.

jdana24
Beginner

The restoration startedwith themy original numbers matching 350 engine. My thought is that I wantedthe engine to look stock on the outside, but beef up the internals so that it was closer to the Ram Rod specs for that year, and run on pump gas. Two differencesbeingthat I wouldnot be using the dual snorkel ram air, as I wouldbe using the stock air cleaner, and I wouldbe using headers (I will clean-up and keep the original exhaust manifolds in my garage, just so I have the original parts). The car wouldnot be raced, but I wantedto increase the horsepower, have a nice lope and sound, and have good torque. I wouldwant to use the stock intake manifold; #5 heads that are on the engine, 2.00 intake and 1.625 exhaust valves; Ram Rod typecam(with appropriate springs/lifters/retainers, etc. from same company I get the cam from); stock 7028250 carb; and an HEI ignition. Below are photos of the original engine which was out of the car.

Image titleImage title

Image title

Image title

Image title

You must be logged in to post on the forums