1970 Oldsmobile F85 W31...Real deal?

1964-1972

33 replies in this topic | 9,848 reads
Joffroi
Administrator

Aside from the passenger side rear view mirror, anything else seem off? What are the production numbers for a f85 W31?

Description from seller

1970 f85 w31 the car has everything a w31 has except carb intake and harmonic balancer has edelbrock carb and intake on it now and its a automatic trans which was rare only 52 made and its correct for a w31 car has matching number block but has 71 heads on it car needs some tlc but is currently tagged and driven have more pics to e=mail upon request selling for a friend call with any questions you may have

1970 Oldsmobile F85 for sale $7,500.00

z11375ss
Beginner

That isn't much car for that amount of money IMO.

Joffroi
Administrator

In my opinion, this car's value is going to depend on a lot of things. Documentation and the shape of the body being the big ones. If there is no rust and it comes with paper work to show it is a true W31, I don't know if that price is so far fetched. No doubt, getting all the pieces under the hood to be correct is going to cost upwards to 3-5k, but finished up I would value that car (again, assuming documentation and straight body) around 20-25k when its cleaned up. Being an F85 W-31 makes it even more rare (but of course subjected on being worth more) since it really is truly bare bones of a car.

z11375ss
Beginner

I bet it's not a real one. Did you happen to see the red 69(?)at MCACN? Flawless. When I get my pics back I'll load one of it. Awesome!

Joffroi
Administrator
Yea, If there isn't any documention on it I wouldn't bother. I didn't see the 69. Post pictures when you get a chance.
z11375ss
Beginner

Like I said in another post. I lost all my pics but have them on a thumb drive. I'm in Fla right now but coming home soon. I just moved too. Holy moly! My head is swimming. I have some really nice stuff from MCACN.

Joffroi
Administrator

Just heard, no documentation and has some patching to do on the fenders. There is a small chance it could be a W31, but as of now it looks like it may just be an expensive F85. That's too bad.

z11375ss
Beginner

Everybody thinks their car is worth quite a bit more than it really is. Sometimes you get an impulse buyer or someone who really wants the car. Otherwise the price offered is pie in the sky. Just my two cents. You gotta be realistic.

z11375ss
Beginner

Image titleThis is the one I was speaking of. Flawless! Script on the fender and everything. Totally cool!

Joffroi
Administrator

I ended up finding more pictures of the car from older ads. Its definitely been on the market for a view years with not much of luck selling (probably becomes of the lack of docs, parts, and excessive rust). I'd stilllike to get pictures of underneath, but it looks like the seller has become unresponsive. Here are some pictures of the rust I found. I still like the idea of if there is at least a shred of evidence that it could be a real W31, to pick it up for a reasonable amount and not worry about getting all the impossible to find W31 parts, but just rebuilding the original block with modern pieces and having a sort of resto modded W31 (potentially).

Image title

Image title

Image title

Image title

Image titleImage title

z11375ss
Beginner

Looks good from the pics. I know you can handle the resto. Your work is right up there. Could be good.

Joffroi
Administrator
z11375ss wrote:

Looks good from the pics. I know you can handle the resto. Your work is right up there. Could be good.

I wish I could take credit for the work on my previous cars. I've gotten lucky and had great previous owners with more mechanic skills then me!

z11375ss
Beginner

Yeah, the tough stuff was done by people who knew what they were doing on my stuff too. Was hoping to get the motor in the Toro today but it got pushed back to Saturday by the mechanic. I have to go help him put it together or it isn't going to get done. Once I get my stuff out of that place I am never going back. What a crazy ordeal.

Joffroi
Administrator

I got more pictures. Its looking a little rough. My brain (and wallet) are saying that this is probably a little too much for me.

http://imgur.com/a/1ZdfQ

z11375ss
Beginner

Rough ain't the word for that car. It's not worth buying at any pricein my estimation. My two cents. Too much work to make it right. Plus, it's an automatic and I hate those steering wheels. gah!

Joffroi
Administrator

I've always had a problems with those steering wheels as well. The Oldsmobile 4 spoke steering wheel is one of the coolest ones out there. But yea, I think I'm coming to the realization that this one car isn't going to work. Too much work and I won't have the time or money to do anything to that. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for the next w31 F85 to come on the market haha.

z11375ss
Beginner

When I bought my Ram Rod copy it had OAI and the stickers. Other than that it was a 4 barrel small block with a turbo 350 and an open rear. It was slow and boring. Now, not so much. I had the idea, like you, that I would really like a hot small block with a stick. Turns out even after I altered it,it didn't have enough power for my tastes. Now? 455, Tremec, 12 bolt 3.73s. Runs a little better.

Joffroi
Administrator

Well, I officially sent the email to the guy with the car saying things just weren't going to work out. Too much rust, money, and much of a project. I guess I'll just keep my eye on the next alleged W31 F85 post car that comes on the market. ::eye roll::

z11375ss
Beginner

I really wanted a Rallye when I was looking for a small block. Found the car I have now. Still want a Rallye. They are so cool. A kid in my neighborhood had one in the early seventies. We all thought is was really quick. It was. Because of the gear. Not a lot of guys running 3.90s or up.

Joffroi
Administrator

Looks like its back on the market for $7,000 now. Still same amount of rust and no documentation :-)

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1461/2294/Oldsmobile/F85.html

You must be logged in to post on the forums