Gbodies price on the rise...

1978-1988

14 replies in this topic | 3,088 reads
Joffroi
Administrator

I'll be honest, at first I thought all the Oldsmobiles made after 72 were just awful looking. They lacked the muscle, the look, and really just anything. However, as time went on the 83-85 years started to grow on me. Now I think those years look pretty damn good and wouldn't mind having an 83-84 Hurst or an 85 442 in my garage (if space permitted). I've also noticed that it looks like the price of them is starting to go up. Looking at the graph of 83-85s posted on the site now, you can see a lot more of 10k+ asking price ads being posted. If you find them desirable or if you own one now... why?

83hurstguy
Beginner

Alater model car with A/C, T-tops, overdrive trans, reclining seats,radio, etc can be a lot of fun to cruise. I drove mine everywhere in the summer, including to several OCA or H/OCA national meets that were over 5 hour drives. I know I'll miss having T-tops in the '68, but they are a "love or hate it" thing. I'm on a "one car at a time" policy, and after 12 years, just wanted to try something different. If I could have kept my car and gotten another one, I would have in a minute. Use the '83 as a longer distance cruiser (or hot weather car since the A/C blew cold), and use the muscle car for shorter around town jaunts.

G-bodies with original, nice paint are getting very hard to find. 10-12 years ago, you could buy a car that had 50k miles and the paint was nice, but the additional age has started to take a lot of these cars down into the "repaint" category, which isn't cheap. The true "survivor" cars with <40k miles that don't need a restoration will always likely command good money. I'm a big fan of G-bodies that are modified... the bone stock, low compression engines that are smogged to death (and have finicky control systems) just don't get the heart racing. I'm curious to see what the market will be for non-original engine cars in the future. A lot of '83-'84 H/O's that are resto-modded are getting attention these days.

allyolds68
Beginner
Joffroi wrote:

I'll be honest, at first I thought all the Oldsmobiles made after 72 were just awful looking. They lacked the muscle, the look, and really just anything. However, as time went on the 83-85 years started to grow on me. Now I think those years look pretty damn good and wouldn't mind having an 83-84 Hurst or an 85 442 in my garage (if space permitted). I've also noticed that it looks like the price of them is starting to go up. Looking at the graph of 83-85s posted on the site now, you can see a lot more of 10k+ asking price ads being posted. If you find them desirable or if you own one now... why?

The simple answer is they were about 10 years olds in the 90's, which made them affordable for the high school kid. Those guys are in their late thirties and early forties nowTheir kids are older or grown up and they have money to buy the car they either had in high school or wish they had.

I was never a G-Body guy. In the late 80's I owned a 85 300ZX. As an Olds guy I've come to love the look of the 83-84 Hurst Olds. Unfortunately for Oldsmobile fans my next foray in car restoration is probably going to be my dads 87 Mustang Convertible. He left it to me when he passed away. It's screaming for a 5 liter conversion. When he bought the car I tried to get him to buy a 5 liter LX but sadly he wasn't a motorhead like me.

Joffroi
Administrator

@83hurstguy. I'm with you on the opinion of slightly "upgraded" Gbodies. I was looking up a thread on ROP of one that was for sale locally that I that was awesome and just realized it was yours! The responsible part of me also has a 1 car policy, but I even showed your ad to my wife just to make sure I couldn't look more into it more. That was(is) a great looking car.

dnmfranco
Beginner

With the prices of A bodies this has definitely contributed to 73-87 market going up. The exception would be the slant back cars of 78???

I have acquired a taste for the 79 to 87 cutlasses/442s and hurst olds . But if I hadan extra 12000 perhaps I would buy a nice one that was issue free.

83hurstguy
Beginner

Thanks Joffroi! I clicked the link to look at it again, and sort of miss it, haha...

Joffroi
Administrator
83hurstguy wrote:

Thanks Joffroi! I clicked the link to look at it again, and sort of miss it, haha...

I have still been keeping my eyes open for a 85 442 with T-tops but they still seem to be getting out of my price range (or lack of availability). I came here to check out pictures of 83hurstguy's slight restomod and it seems like there aren't any more pictures on the ROP thread. Did you pull them off or was I looking in the wrong spot? I'm hitting myself for at least not checking that out in person.

83hurstguy
Beginner

They still show up for me: http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic6163.html

I must have accidentally deleted one of them from photobucket.

I think you'll find one, just be patient (which is a trait I don't have either, lol). Most of them are tucked away right now.

Joffroi
Administrator
83hurstguy wrote:

They still show up for me: http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic6163.html

I must have accidentally deleted one of them from photobucket.

I think you'll find one, just be patient (which is a trait I don't have either, lol). Most of them are tucked away right now.

I forgot the network I'm on blocks image sharing sites. Waiting and finding one is just one of my problems. Finding out how I can pull off getting one while keeping my 68 is the other one. It probably doesn't help that I'm also kinda keeping one eye open for a W31 as well. It sucks I only have a 2 car garage.... and that I didn't win that mega lottery :-/

83hurstguy
Beginner

Hahaha I can relate to those issues. We used to have that issue at work too. What year W-31?

Joffroi
Administrator
A 70. But really just seeing what is out there. Not really serious on the search ( unless I trade the 68) due to the reasons above.
1970cs
Beginner

I grew up during that era! I am also very close to Lansing, so you could not swing a dead cat without hitting a Cutlass in some form or fashion! I was looking for one of those buggers also, but they were hitting the $4500.00 range for rigthat needed a lot of work i.e. body, paint, mechanical and interior. So while looking for one 85-87 442 I seen an ad in the local paper for the 70 supreme which was a little more money in close to the same condition.

I did buy the supreme and quickly gave it a facelift for the 100th anniversary of Oldsmobile. I did end up buying an 87 442 with t-tops that was in a wreck that was sheet metal (pictures of damage were provided) only with a fresh repaint/re-stripe interior was trashed at 122000. Redid the interior and new wheels and the other wrench work that needed to be done. FYI nice cruisers but as far as build quality and plain old horse power the G bodies can't hold a candle to the 68-72 A bodies. The 442 was gone in 4 years and the 70 supreme is still the main stay of my stable.

Joffroi
Administrator
1970cs wrote:

I grew up during that era! I am also very close to Lansing, so you could not swing a dead cat with hitting a Cutlass in some form or fashion! I was looking for one of those buggers also, but they were hitting the $4500.00 range for rigthat needed a lot of work i.e. body, paint, mechanical and interior. So while looking for one 85-87 442 I seen an ad in the local paper for the 70 supreme which was a little more money in close to the same condition.

I did buy the supreme and quickly gave it a facelift for the 100th anniversary of Oldsmobile. I did end up buying an 87 442 with t-tops that was in a wreck that was sheet metal (pictures of damage were provided) only with a fresh repaint/re-stripe interior was trashed at 122000. Redid the interior and new wheels and the other wrench work that needed to be done. FYI nice cruisers but as far as build quality and plain old horse power the G bodies can't hold a candle to the 68-72 A bodies. The 442 was gone in 4 years and the 70 supreme is still the main stay of my stable.

You really bring up an great point. I'll probably really own an 85 442 if one just falls into my lap. We'll see...

Joffroi
Administrator

MECUM is going on now.

1984 Hurst with 11,000 miles sold for 23k Yikes. https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0116-231442/0/1984-Oldsmobile-Hurst-Olds/Automatic/

1986 442 sold for $5,000 though: https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0116-230722/0/1986-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-442/Automatic/

83hurstguy
Beginner

The uber low mileage G-bodies like the 84 you posted will pull coin. Those are as close to "collectible" as you can get. But you aren't going to get one and drive it (unless you just want to throw the money away, as the value will drop in half).

The $5k for the '86 was fair if not a touch high... bashed in grilles, bumper fillers loose, messed up steering wheel, no console with ratchet shifter, who knows what else..

You must be logged in to post on the forums