OLDSMOBILE RACE CARS

General Discussion

130 replies in this topic | 25,866 reads
vistacruiser67
Beginner

Above: Oldsmobile pressured their sponsored racers to use current year vehicles. So Paul Mayo raced a few 98 Oldsmobiles from the late 70s. Dale Smith was the middle man between Oldsmobile and their racers.

Above and below: Al Seger shed his 72 Go Shop Wagon for this newer Cutlass

Above and below: Al Seger progressed to a 98 Olds which may have been as light as the 76-77 Cutlass.

Al Provoast was racked up many victories for Oldsmobile in later model Oldsmobiles.

vistacruiser67
Beginner
vistacruiser67 wrote:

Above: Paul Mayo W-30 convertible later raced by Ron McHugh.

Below: Ron McHugh standing to the right

vistacruiser67
Beginner

Another forgotten picture that should have been included above.

vistacruiser67
Beginner
dnmfranco wrote:

everyone love the pics they are just wondering who you are. Could you introduce yourself in the welcome section Dean

I am nobody. Just a life long Oldsmobile fan. I'm nothing in the racing world that's for sure. I've about 10 or so 69-72 Cutlasses and Vistas that I raced but ultimately I am nobody. Got a four year old son and had to sellall my Oldsmobile junk with the last car being sold inMay 2013. I currently drive a 2004 Toyota Camry. I spoke with Jack Troxell over the phone a few years back and sent him some pictures of his former cars to him and he thought I was from a magazine. I was approached via email by Troxells son who was putting together a drag racing collage for his father's birthday which was in December. I love the nostaglic race pictures of the Oldsmobiles. I love nostalgic Oldsmobile pictures that freeze the cars in that time. We can restore the old cars but we can't quite get them to look like they looked then. Also its neat to see how Dale Smith put together a formidable Oldsmobile racing army that won the 71-72 manufacturer's cup. My dad had a 65 F-85 convertible new. White with red interior. Originally a white top but hail damage forced him to change it to a black top. My biological mother told me I was conceived in that65 Olds. In late 69 he traded his 65 for a 70 442 sherwood green with a black vinyl top, dark green interior, standard green plastic steering wheel or whatever they made those steering wheels of that crack all to pieces. Not a W-30 but he ordered the glass hood. My dad wasn't a racer, he just could deal with the local Olds dealers and wanted a cars that would attract women. After this phase passedhe traded the 70 442for a 72 Ford Pickup. He returned to Olds in 1975 with a Cutlass Supreme that became my first car in 1983. But dad brought home a 72 Cutlass 4dr town sedan with a 350 2bbl that ran circles around the 75 Cutlass so I had to have that car. Had about 3 70-72 4door Cutlasses. About 3 69-72 Vista Cruisers, a 69 Cutlass Cruiser, a 72 Supreme, a rough 71 SX with an incorrect 67 425 engine, and 71 442. All of which are now out of my possession or gone. I do thank you Dean for inviting me over here. Feel free to cut and paste this on the welcome section if you wish and tell them I am nobody.

vistacruiser67
Beginner
dnmfranco wrote:

everyone love the pics they are just wondering who you are. Could you introduce yourself in the welcome section Dean

And 95% of the pictures I have posted are not even mine but what I've collected off the internet.

vistacruiser67
Beginner
vistacruiser67 wrote:

vistacruiser67
Beginner

vistacruiser67
Beginner
vistacruiser67 wrote:

vistacruiser67
Beginner

vistacruiser67
Beginner

Another SX convertible race car!!! These are Dan Lattimore's

vistacruiser67
Beginner

Above is Paul Mayo in Olds 98.

The believe the above car was in the movie "Hot Rod".

vistacruiser67
Beginner

dnmfranco
Beginner
vistacruiser67 wrote:
dnmfranco wrote:

And 95% of the pictures I have posted are not even mine but what I've collected off the internet.

yeah but hanks to your efforts everyone here can enjoy, I agree we cant get these racing images again

vistacruiser67
Beginner

vistacruiser67
Beginner

vistacruiser67
Beginner
vistacruiser67
Beginner
vistacruiser67 wrote:

1968_Post
Beginner

Great post... it illustrates the popularity of drag racing in the 60's, 70's and 80's, derived primarily from the diversity of the cars and the involvement of the dealer body. The "Race on Sunday / Sell on Monday" mindset made for great racing.

vistacruiser67
Beginner

Al Seger Olds 98.

vistacruiser67
Beginner
You must be logged in to post on the forums