Starting my 442 Search

Introductions

1 reply in this topic | 782 reads
Patrick

I am new to this site and am starting my search for a 1972 Cutlass 442. My preference is a 455 CID car with a 4-speed, but an automatic will work. The car will be a driver, not daily, but weekends and parades and such. I will drive it to work periodically.

I would like a convertible but know that the number of these cars with matching 455 CID to VIN and 4-speeds are small. I understand from my online search that a lot of cars being offered are 350 CID VIN codes where a 455 CID engine has been installed. The car I want to purchase will be a car that is an original 455 CID car, not a 350 CID car.

I am interested in any help as to what I should/should not look for and should/should not do in the search. I have learned that factory build sheets are not necessarily available for these cars, especially Lansing, MI manufactured cars (which a bunch of 1972 are), but build card line sheets were included, and sometimes they have features that could tell what some of the interior and exterior options are. I do not know what those codes mean, so help with resources that can assist me with learning what different codes on the build cards are is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. This year of car has values all over the place, and I want a car that is as close to original as possible while avoiding imposters.

Patrick
Beginner

I am new to this site and am starting my search for a 1972 Cutlass 442. My preference is a 455 CID car with a 4-speed, but an automatic will work. The car will be a driver, not daily, but weekends and parades and such. I will drive it to work periodically.

I would like a convertible but know that the number of these cars with matching 455 CID to VIN and 4-speeds are small. I understand from my online search that a lot of cars being offered are 350 CID VIN codes where a 455 CID engine has been installed. The car I want to purchase will be a car that is an original 455 CID car, not a 350 CID car.

I am interested in any help as to what I should/should not look for and should/should not do in the search. I have learned that factory build sheets are not necessarily available for these cars, especially Lansing, MI manufactured cars (which a bunch of 1972 are), but build card line sheets were included, and sometimes they have features that could tell what some of the interior and exterior options are. I do not know what those codes mean, so help with resources that can assist me with learning what different codes on the build cards are is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. This year of car has values all over the place, and I want a car that is as close to original as possible while avoiding imposters.

Joffroi
Administrator

Do you have any preference on color as well? 72 is a difficult year because having the 442 package (with the 442) was no longer indicated in the VIN (with the exception of W30s that had the "X" in the vin). Are you looking for the original 455 to be in the car or do you want it to just have come originally with a 455 from the factory?

Build sheet will be key. These cars are rare, but do come up so good luck with the search!

You must be logged in to post on the forums